The first part of the Fund Raising Starter Kit is the pitch deck. Getting the Pitch Deck right is important as it is the most overlooked aspect. The pitch deck not only helps the investor get a clear picture of what you, as an entrepreneur, are looking to achieve, it also helps you articulate on slides what’s a huge mess in your head. Hopefully, this pitch deck template will help take the burden of the thinking of a structure off your shoulders.
You can download the template from here and make it your own.
First, some pointers. This is not part of the deck template.
– This section should not have more than your startup’s logo, name and a max. 10 word line on what you do.
– Your company is worth the value of the problem you are solving
– Clearly state the problem you are addressing
– More importantly, clearly outline the size of the market you are addressing. Be absolutely logical about this section. – Don’t try to add irrelevant, ancillary markets to make your market size look good. A VC can usually call BS on your market calculation.
– There may be a 100 ways in which your startup solves the problem, mention maximum 5
– Explain in simple, concise language what the platform does e.g. menstrual product subscription service, how you achieve it e.g. deep logistics network made efficient with technology, where you do it e.g. deeply penetrated in Mumbai and Pune, delivering direct to consumer, and what are your moats e.g. strong logistics network, superior quality material etc.
– Avoid mentioning what your company will do in the future. It’s good to have a vision with an achievable set of goals
– In this section, you have to be clear to the investor as to why this team is THE team
– The team’s experience, attitude, functions etc. should be loud and clear
– What works better than logo’s of your previous employer is numbers. Quantify your previous experience e.g. Grew loan portfolio to INR 5,000 Cr in 5 years at 0.50% NPA.
– In this section, highlight your business model, how the business is structured, what is the revenue model like etc.
– This is the strongest slide. Neatly designed charts on early traction is what can really convince anyone
– If you don’t have early traction, display key metrics on your projected growth
– Key metrics include revenue growth (not GMV), commission growth, CAC, User growth, EBITDA etc.
– Customise the metrics as per your business model
– Be absolutely clear about the capital you are looking to raise. Avoid using ranges.
– Chart out your yearly financial projections for at least three years
– Mention important metrics right from revenue to EBITDA for the three years
– Everything else you thought of inserting in the previous slides, put them here on
– Insert slides on details on technology, market, reports etc.
As with all my other posts, I invite your feedback to improve this template. More so on this post as all improvements suggested will help the entrepreneur community.
11-Dec-2018: Here’s a nifty list of actual pitch decks used by startups that raised funding. There are some big startup names in this list e.g. Contently, Mattermark, WeWork, Mixpanel, Nutanix, Snapchat and many more.